Director General of Customs resigns
Director General of Department of Customs Jagath P. Wijeweera has tendered his resignation to the Secretary of the Finance Ministry, Minister of Finance Ravi Karunanayake said today at a media briefing.
The exact reason for his resignation from his post has not yet been revealed by Mr. Wijeweera, Minister Karunanayake said.
Minister Karunanayake said that Mr. Wijeweera might have resigned due to ongoing investigations to determine the reasons for the considerable loss that has been reported in the Department of Customs in the recent past.
However, customs sources said Mr. Wijeweera had given personal reasons for his resignation.
Mr. Wijeweera was not available for comment although Daily Mirror tried to reach him.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023