Director of Medical Supplies Division and three others arrested
Director of the Medical Supplies Division of the Ministry of Health, Dr. Kapila Wickramanayaka and three others were arrested by the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) over the alleged importing of substandard Immunoglobulin vials, police said.
According to police, they have been arrested over the alleged involvement in importing substandard Immunoglobulin injections using forged documents.
Accordingly, the Director of the Medical Supplies Division Dr. Kapila Wickremenayake, Assistant Director Devashantha Soloman, Accountant (Supplies) Neran Dhananjaya and the Stock Controller of the Medical Supplies Division Sujith Kumara were arrested in relation to the incident, Police Media Spokesman SSP Nihal Thalduwa said.
Isolez Biotech Pharma AG (Pvt.) Ltd., a medicine supplier in the local area, is suspected of importing a batch of human intravenous immunoglobulin (IVIG) using counterfeit documents.
The Sri Lanka Customs discovered this and, on October 13, the Maligakanda Magistrate instructed the CID to conduct a comprehensive investigation.
Hence, the CID launched a thorough investigation resulting in the initial arrest of the owner of the company responsible for importing the substandard Immunoglobulin injections.
UPDATE – 08:40 PM: The Director of the Health Ministry’s Medical Supplies Division, Dr. Kapila Wickramanayaka and three other officials arrested over the controversial Immunoglobulin import, have been remanded until November 29, 2023 by the Maligakanda Magistrate’s Court.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023
- Police officer takes his own life at Peliyagoda Interchange of Katunayake Expressway December 6, 2023
- Sagala asks officials about progress of Beira Lake Development Project December 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka to receive about $600 million ADB funding post-IMF approval – official December 6, 2023