Dr.Shafi case: New CID team to examine charges
The Kurunegala Magistrate’s Court today allowed the CID to launch a fresh probe into the sterilisation charges against Dr. Mohamed Shafi of the Kurunegala Hospital.
Accordingly, the criminal investigations department has appointed a new investigation team to examine the charges against the Doctor of the Kurunegala Teaching Hospital, Mohamed Shafi Shihabdeen, who was accused of sterilising women.
On July 25, the Court released Dr. Shafi on a cash bail of Rs.250,000 with four sureties of Rs.2.5 million each.
The 42-year-old doctor was arrested by the police on May 24 and handed over to the CID. He was first accused in a case in which he was charged with earning assets through suspicious means and in another case he was charged with performing illegal sterilisation operations on a large number of women.
The case will be taken up for hearing once again on the 16th of January.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023