Economically backward persons choose to be in prison: DM
Prime Minister D.M. Jayaratne said today that some economically backward persons had chosen themselves to be prisoners because of good meals served to them inside prisons.
The Prime Minister made this remark during the debate of the Justice Ministry. He said that, in Saudi Arabia, there are enough and more instances where prisoners are caned.
“Here, we do not give such harsh punishments. We do not know whether the absence of such cruel punishments is the reason for the alarming crimes in the country. Also, it appears that some people want to be prisoners forever. In prisons, they are provided with meals. If they are released, they do not have sufficient incomes to feed themselves with decent meals,” he said.
Courtesy: DM Online
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Customs seizes Drugs worth over Rs. 60 Million December 7, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Dengue cases increased to 78,322 December 7, 2023
- Three Sri Lankans, including Ranish Hewage serving in the Ukraine Army killed in Russian attack December 7, 2023
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023