Envoy Alarmed Over Anti-Muslim Events in Sri Lanka
A United States diplomat has expressed alarm at a rising anti-Muslim campaign in Sri Lanka and warned that such sentiments should not be allowed to fester.
U.S. Ambassador to Sri Lanka Michele J. Sison spoke Monday to foreign correspondents based in Colombo. The comments follow months of hate speeches, vilification and even attacks on Muslim-owned businesses and places of worship by Sinhalese-Buddhist nationalist groups.
Sison also expressed concern over continued threats and attacks against local media nearly four years after the end of a civil war and the authorities’ inability to resolve the numerous killigs, abductions and assaults against journalists. (AP)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023
- Sri Lanka receives USD 890,000 interim compensation for damages by X-Press Pearl September 24, 2023
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023