Four arrested with drugs worth over Rs. 600 million
A special operation carried out by Sri Lanka Navy in the seas off Negombo led to the arrest of 04 suspects with over 100kg of Crystal Methamphetamine (ICE) and 80kg of Hashish worth over Rs 600 million.
A multiday fishing trawler which used to transfer the narcotic substances was also seized.
The narcotic substance had been concealed in 09 sacks, as plastic containers and small packets, stated Sri Lanka Navy.
The coordinated operation was carried out with the assistance of intelligence services and Police Narcotic Bureau. The operation was also assisted by Sri Lanka Air Force.
The suspects held during the operation were identified as residents of the Thoduwawa area in Chilaw.
The entire operation was carried out adhering to COVID-19 preventive guidelines and the suspects, drugs and multiday fishing trawler held during this operation were handed over to the Police Narcotic Bureau for onward legal action, the Navy said.
- Cabinet approves proposal to reduce Maximum Retail Prices of 60 types of medicine June 6, 2023
- Two officers of Agrarian Service Centre arrested for soliciting a bribe June 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s LGBTQ+ community holds Pride march, demands end to discrimination June 5, 2023
- India’s first international cruise from Chennai to Sri Lanka to be flagged off today June 5, 2023
- ‘Sandahiru Seya Charity Trust’ donates Dialysis Machine to Anuradhapura Hospital June 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka records lowest tourism monthly income of US$ 132 Million in May June 5, 2023
- JVP asks public not to be distracted by circuses June 5, 2023