Gen. Fonseka granted conditional bail
Colombo High Court Judge Sunil Rajapakse, yesterday granted conditional bail to General Sarath Fonseka. His passport was impounded. He could go overseas only with the permission of the Court.
The quantum of bail was fixed at one million rupees in cash, with two sureties of Rs. 2.5 million each. The Registrar of the High Court was directed to visit Nawaloka Hospital to obtain the signature of Gen. Fonseka, wherever necessary.
Saliya Pieris, Counsel for Fonseka, at the outset told the Court that the Cabinet of Ministers had already approved that the President may order the release of Fonseka, therefore a remand order could be in conflict with such a move.
In this case, Fonseka was charged with having given shelter to 12 army deserters between, September 15, 2009 to January 1, 2010.
Saliya Pieris appeared with Nilanthi Pieris, Rukshan Nanayakkara and Dayaseeli Jayasekera for Fonseka.
Senior State Counsel, Riyaz Bhari, appeared with Senior State Counsel Damith Thotawatte for the Attorney General, who did not object to the bail.
Courtesy: The Island / Pix by Reuters
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023
- Police officer takes his own life at Peliyagoda Interchange of Katunayake Expressway December 6, 2023
- Sagala asks officials about progress of Beira Lake Development Project December 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka to receive about $600 million ADB funding post-IMF approval – official December 6, 2023