Give us time and we will decide on the best candidate – Ravi Karunanayake
One should not hold rallies and dinners and spoil the UNP, its assistant leader Ravi Karunanayake said yesterday.
“It is a crime to hold rallies around the country and hold dinners as such activities ruin the party,” he said responding to questions raised by journalists.
“Just give us time and we will decide on the best candidate,” he added.
Meanwhile, UNP Chairman Kabir Hashim also said there is nothing wrong in holding meetings and claiming one’s eligibility to be the party’s candidate, as that is democracy. “We have democracy in our party. Besides, the issue is that we have several eligible candidates unlike the SLPP,” he said.
He added that the party will handle the matter carefully and field the candidate who is demanded by the people. “We are not in a hurry to name the candidate,” he said.
(Source: Daily Mirror – By Yohan Perera)
- Sri Lanka relaxes import restrictions on over 300 items June 10, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government to go ahead with privatising SLT despite ‘NO’ from S.O.C. on National Security June 10, 2023
- Seven Police Narcotics Bureau officers arrested over death of vocational trainer in custody June 9, 2023
- Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security recommends not to privatise Sri Lanka Telecom June 9, 2023
- Sarath Fonseka resigns from Sectoral Oversight Committee on National Security June 9, 2023
you should be given time to form the UNF and give a address for professionals to join the coalition and for Presidential system to be abolished from our country making use of 20 A which was gazetted on 9th of July 20 18 at the time Presidential election is called when there will be no president in our country when there is a Presidential vacuum
Presidential hopefuls should lodge confidential applications with Party machinery charged with identifying a Party Presidential Candidate.
The application should include documented evidence of public preferences obtained via telephone polling and face to face responses from party faithfuls.
This will enable the Party machinery charged with identifying a Party Presidential Candidate with their work on a merit based assessment.
Declaration of Candidacy in Public Platforms and stating the ‘I will definitely be the candidate’ does not help anyone including party hierarchy, voters and supporters. Such persons are immature leaders with scant disregard to policy and process of the Party.