Give us time and we will decide on the best candidate – Ravi Karunanayake
One should not hold rallies and dinners and spoil the UNP, its assistant leader Ravi Karunanayake said yesterday.
“It is a crime to hold rallies around the country and hold dinners as such activities ruin the party,” he said responding to questions raised by journalists.
“Just give us time and we will decide on the best candidate,” he added.
Meanwhile, UNP Chairman Kabir Hashim also said there is nothing wrong in holding meetings and claiming one’s eligibility to be the party’s candidate, as that is democracy. “We have democracy in our party. Besides, the issue is that we have several eligible candidates unlike the SLPP,” he said.
He added that the party will handle the matter carefully and field the candidate who is demanded by the people. “We are not in a hurry to name the candidate,” he said.
(Source: Daily Mirror – By Yohan Perera)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Official Creditor Committee confirms debt treatment deal with Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka President appoints Deshabandu Tennakoon as acting IGP November 29, 2023
- Creditor nations likely to agree on Sri Lanka debt restructuring – report November 29, 2023
- Netherlands returns six looted colonial-era artefacts to Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023