Gotabaya Rajapaksa will return to Sri Lanka on August 24 – Udayanga
Former Sri Lanka President Gotabaya Rajapaksa will return to Sri Lanka on August 24, says former Ambassador of Sri Lanka to Russia Udayanga Weeratunga.
He made this remark while speaking to the media after recording a statement with the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) about the procurement of four second-hand MiG-27 fighter jets to the Sri Lanka Air Force (SLAF) from Ukraine in 2006 and alleged embezzlement of public funds to the tune of USD 7.833 million.
The former Sri Lankan president Gotabaya Rajapaksa, who fled overseas to escape protests against his government, arrived in Thailand last week on a flight from Singapore, where he had been staying since mid-July.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Wanindu Hasaranga suspended for two matches, fined February 25, 2024
- Parliamentary committees summon CBSL officials over 70% salary increase February 25, 2024
- STF arrests Army Corporal over Mahabage shooting that killed “Ukkuwa” February 24, 2024
- Senior U.S. official discusses Sri Lanka’s IMF program in Colombo February 24, 2024
- U.S. Deputy Secretary of State commends Sri Lanka’s economic efforts February 23, 2024