Government decides to limit imports
Minister of Plantation Industries and Agricultural Exports Ramesh Pathirana says the present government has decided to limit the importation of several products that can be produced in the country.
The Minister said the decision was taken by the Cabinet to support domestic farmers.
Speaking during the weekly Cabinet meeting, Minister Pathirana noted that the government will systematically reduce and then restrict the importation of all products that can be produced in the country.
Minister Pathirana pointed out how tea, rubber and pepper are being imported at present.
He added that the government has decided to limit the importation of such products.
Minister of Plantation Industries and Agricultural Exports Ramesh Pathirana also said that the government will lift all taxes imposed on the income received by persons in the plantation sector.
(Source: News Radio)
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya remanded till June 7 May 28, 2023
- Fuel quota to be increased from Tuesday May 28, 2023
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to Issue digital birth certificates May 28, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya arrested over remarks on Buddhism May 28, 2023
- Veteran Diplomat Jayantha Dhanapala passes away May 27, 2023
Sri Lanka is importing tea? Wow!
This is also the same type of clear manifestation of the former Yahaplanaya incompetents’ corruption regarding electrical power and nothing else. Yes, just like how during the Yahapalana time we saw the country going through every-other-day-and-lengthy electrical power-cuts so that the ‘electricity mafia’ tied to (that govt’s) fat-cats would make huge profits from the sale of electrical power from private external suppliers, I am sure this ‘tea import’ to Sri Lanka also received thumbs-up approval from those very same corrupt Yahapalanaya fat-cats!
Mr Simon. But we export people to do all the menial work around the world.