Government suppressing dissent under COVID-19 guise
Samagi Jana Balawegaya (SJB) Parliamentarian Harshana Rajakaruna claimed the Government was using COVID-19 health guidelines to suppress anti-government views.
“If the Government could permit companies and factories to function allowing hundreds of workers while observing health guidelines, why can’t they allow protests adhering to health guidelines?” Rajakaruna queried.
He also charged that the Government is projecting Basil Rajapaksa as the solution to every concern posed by the public against the Government. “The public has been questioning the price hike of essential goods, fuel and the fertiliser shortage.
Instead of solving these problems by decreasing the prices of essential goods and fuel or providing fertiliser, the Government projects that bringing Basil Rajapaksa to Parliament was the only solution,” he alleged. Rajakaruna expressed these views, yesterday (7) at a Media briefing.
(Source: Ceylon Today – By Nabiya Vaffoor)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Creditor nations likely to agree on Sri Lanka debt restructuring – report November 29, 2023
- Netherlands returns six looted colonial-era artefacts to Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023
- October sees 20% decline in apparel exports from Sri Lanka November 28, 2023