Green concept at railway stations from today
Transport Minister Mahinda Amaraweera has instructed Railway Department officials to launch the pilot programme for converting all railway stations under the Green (Haritha) concept beginning from the Dematagoda Railway station on January 1.
He said all railway stations should be converted into Green (Haritha) railway stations under the concept of Green Places and Cities for Health and Prosperity.
The minister said the Kandy Railway Station could be identified as the cleanest railway station. He said the Government would initiate the programme giving priority to nature and promote sustainable development in Sri Lanka through Green Economic initiatives.
All the railway stations in the country would be developed into beautiful and green stations to attract local and foreign commuters. According to the programme, the most alluring green railway station will be selected between March and July next year.
(Government News Portal)
- Cabinet approves proposal to reduce Maximum Retail Prices of 60 types of medicine June 6, 2023
- Two officers of Agrarian Service Centre arrested for soliciting a bribe June 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s LGBTQ+ community holds Pride march, demands end to discrimination June 5, 2023
- India’s first international cruise from Chennai to Sri Lanka to be flagged off today June 5, 2023
- ‘Sandahiru Seya Charity Trust’ donates Dialysis Machine to Anuradhapura Hospital June 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka records lowest tourism monthly income of US$ 132 Million in May June 5, 2023
- JVP asks public not to be distracted by circuses June 5, 2023
High time and most Welcome!
It is indeed a disgrace to see the sorry state of many of our railway/bus stations and I have lost count the number of times foreign friends/tourists making adverse comments about them. Under the former Yahapalanaya jokers, this type of program would have been unthinkable as all what they were interested in were political victimizations of the former regime honchos and Ranavirus with politicizing even the CID, filling their deep pockets with bribery, and of course bending over backward to appease Jihadists’/Separatists’ agenda (read: the horror we saw on Easter Sunday 2019) while the economy was decaying at a rapid scale.
Word are cheep and talk is easy. Hope the talk will be transmitted to action. Yes it is high and most welcome not only for the railway station but to the bus stations and all cities.