Heroin related arrests doubles within 2 years
Around 47,000 suspects have been arrested on drug related charges in the year 2012 while around 16,000 of them were arrested on heroin charges, Justice Minister Rauf Hakeem revealed today.
He stated that only 29,000 suspects were arrested on drug related offences in the year 2010 and that number increased to around 42,000 the following year. In 2012 around 47,000 suspects were arrested on drug related charges.
The number of suspects arrested for heroin related charges has doubled from 8,000 in 2010 to 16,000 in 2012.
The minister revealed these statistics during a press conference after Sakuntala Tennakoon assumed duties as the new Government Analyst at the Government Analyst’s Department in Colombo today.
The United National Party (UNP) is to move a no-confidence motion against the government over the country’s drug menace and will be taken up for debate in Parliament today and tomorrow.
Meanwhile the National Freedom Front (NFF), a coalition partner of the ruling party, has decided to refrain from participating in the debate.
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka unexpectedly cuts rates by 250 bps as inflation eases June 1, 2023