Sri Lanka and Pakistan leaders hold talks in China
– by Janaka Alahapperuma –
President Mahinda Rajapaksa held bilateral discussions with his Pakistani counterpart Mamnoon Hussain this afternoon (May 20) in Shanghai, China, on the sidelines of the 4th Summit of the Conference on Interaction and Confidence Building Measures in Asia (CICA).
Pakistani President extended his country’s unwavering support to Sri Lanka when both leaders met for the discussion. During the talks, the two leaders also discussed reviving cricket tours between the two nations and enhancing trade relations to boost the amount of trade that takes place between the two South Asian nations.
Minister of External Affairs Prof. G.L. Peiris, Chief of Staff Mr. Gamini Sedara Senarath, Secretary to the Ministry of External Affairs Mrs. Kshenuka Seneviratne and Sri Lanka’s Ambassador in China Mr. Ranjith Uyangoda were also present at the discussion.
President Rajapaksa arrived in China this morning commencing a three-day official tour to attend the conference on an invitation from the Government of China. The President is schedule to conduct bilateral talks with several other heads of states in parallel to the summit proceedings. He is also scheduled to address the summit.
Meanwhile Secretary General of United Nations Ban Ki Moon and Russia’s President Vladimir Putin have arrived in Shanghai to attend the summit. The Chinese President Xi Jinping will host a banquet for the visiting heads of states and overseas delegation tonight.
(Pix By: Sudath Silva)
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to Issue digital birth certificates May 28, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya arrested over remarks on Buddhism May 28, 2023
- Veteran Diplomat Jayantha Dhanapala passes away May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka President instructs to install high-tech scanners at BIA VIP terminal May 27, 2023
- Sri Lanka to commence Cannabis cultivation project May 26, 2023
- Dr. Shafi Shihabdeen reassigned to Kurunegala Hospital May 26, 2023