Hirunika to join politics
Hirunika, the daughter of late Bharatha Lakshman Premachandra has announced she will join active politics from the Sri Lanka Mahajana Party.
She came into the spotlight in the aftermath of the killing of her father during a shootout in Mulleriyawa on October 8 last year. During the shootout three others were killed while serious head injuries were cause to parliamentarian Duminda Silva.
The Sri Lanka Mahajana Pakshaya (SLMP) is a political party founded in 1984 by actor turned politician the late Vijaya Kumaranatunga, husband of former President Chandrika Bandaranaike Kumaratunga.
The late Bharatha Lakshman Premachandra entered politics by joining the SLMP.
Courtesy: DM Online
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023