I was not warned of Easter Sunday attacks – Maithripala
Former President Maithripala Sirisena yesterday told Parliament that he had received no prior information about the Easter Sunday attacks and that he would have done everything in his power to stop the attacks if he had received a warning.
“I am not a monster to just let such an attack take place. It was the duty of the police to arrest NTJ leader Zahran Hashim and others. It is not the duty of the President. The PCoI on Easter Sunday attacks should have investigated why the Police had failed to do so.”
The former government must take collective responsibility of the terror attacks and it is necessary to investigate the weaknesses that prevailed at that time, Sirisena said.
(Source: The Island – By Saman Indrajith)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023