Import tax increased to control numbers
Finance Minister Ravi Karunanayake said, at a media briefing yesterday, that there were one million three wheelers registered in the country. He said the import tax on them was increased in order to control their numbers.
With the young people, on completing of their studies, wanting to earn money by operating three wheeler taxis, there seemed to be a dearth of young people for developmental activities in the country.
Last year alone there had been 90,000 vehicles, including three wheelers, brought into the country.
Though the tax had been increased earlier, vehicle imports had increased by 55%, he said.
The importation of vehicles should be governed by a national policy and, until the road system is improved, the importation should be discouraged, he said.
(Daily Mirror – By Jayantha Samarakoon)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Permission not given to Chinese ship to dock, India’s concerns important: Sabry September 26, 2023
- Sri Lanka squad named for ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 September 26, 2023
- S&P raises Sri Lanka local currency ratings to ‘CCC+/C’, says outlook stable September 26, 2023
- Sri Lanka President expresses dissatisfaction with country’s current education system September 26, 2023
- Chinese model breaks U.S. hegemony: former Sri Lankan diplomat September 26, 2023