India influenced UNHRC delegates to pressure Sri Lanka to hold PC elections – TNA
Tamil National Alliance (TNA) Leader R. Sampanthan said India had influenced UNHRC delegates to pressure the Sri Lankan Government to hold Provincial Council elections at the earliest.
He said that it should not be forgotten that although India followed a moderate course of action with regards to the resolution on Sri Lanka during the recent UNHRC session, it still worked hard to propagate and support the rights of the Tamil people in this country during the recently concluded forum.
He was responding to questions by a group of journalists about India’s stance on the recent UNHRC resolution on Sri Lanka.
Sampanthan said India was committed to finding a political solution to Sri Lanka’s ethnic problem, adding that although India had abstained from voting this time, it had influenced UNHRC delegates to pressure the Sri Lankan government to hold provincial council elections at the earliest.
He said India has always stated that a lasting and long-term solution to the problem of the Tamil people in Sri Lanka is needed and that they are working hard to achieve it.
(Source: Daily News – By Rasula Dilhara Gamage)
- Food insecurity improved in Sri Lanka but prevails within specific regions – FAO and WFP May 29, 2023
- ADB approves $350 Million for Sri Lanka economic stabilization programme May 29, 2023
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya remanded till June 7 May 28, 2023
- Fuel quota to be increased from Tuesday May 28, 2023
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to Issue digital birth certificates May 28, 2023
PC elections are not the way forward for Sri Lanka – they are not affordable and do we really need PC’s and another stratum of politicians?? The “YAXAPALANA” regime was responsible for postponing the PC elections indefinitely – as I recall, the TNA and the JVP helped the “YAXAPALANA” regime to postpone the PC elections. It is said that the US, UK, EU and India helped the 2015 regime change to set up the disastrous and traitorous “YAXAPALANA” regime. So what is this Mr Sampanthan of the TNA now talking about – in his Dotage ???