Investigations to find MPs with dual citizenships to end today
Sri Lanka’s Department of Immigration and Emigration says that the investigations carried out regarding dual citizenship will be completed and the final decision of the probes would be given within today (October 31).
The relevant investigation was initiated to identify Members of Parliament (MPs) with dual citizenship.
Accordingly, the Department of Immigration and Emigration has requested the General Secretary of the Parliament to provide the date of birth and National Identity Card (NIC) numbers of all the MPs in Parliament of Sri Lanka, last Friday (October 28).
Later, the department was initiated to inspect the relevant lists of documents.
However, the Department of Immigration and Emigration stated that in the investigations carried out so far, no MP has been identified as a dual citizen.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023