Karu Jayasuriya welcomes Prime Minister’s decision to allow burial of COVID dead
The National Movement for Social Justice (NMSJ) in a statement yesterday commended the decision taken by Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa to allow the burial of COVID-19 dead.
“We believe that the decision taken by the Government is in line with the recommendations of the World Health Organisation, the reports of two expert committees comprising local health professionals, the Human Rights Commission of Sri Lanka as well as the United Nations Human Rights Council,” the NMSJ Chairman Karu Jayasuriya said. “This is an important decision with regard to the reconciliation process in the country. At the same time, it will help to alleviate religious and ethnic differences. This can be considered as a decision that was taken based on science,” the statement said.
“This decision is a clear indication of the political maturity of Prime Minister Mahinda Rajapaksa. This measure will also help to redress certain grievances that have developed among certain sections of the society in recent times,” it added.
NMSJ said as a civil society organisation that endeavours to create a just society, it appreciates this decision and fervently hopes that appropriate action will be taken to implement it without delay.
(Source: Daily FT)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023
- Sri Lanka receives USD 890,000 interim compensation for damages by X-Press Pearl September 24, 2023
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023