Malinga signs $100,000 contract with Sri Lanka
Sri Lanka paceman Lasith Malinga, who is currently playing for Mumbai Indians in the Indian Premier League, has been placed in the top bracket of $100,000 in the central contracts announced by Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) here.
The fast bowler figures along side Mahela Jayawardene, Kumar Sangakkara, Tillakaratne Dilshan and Thilan Samaraweera in the central contracts, that will come into effect from June this year.
Malinga, however, will be only entitled to $40,000 as his appearance would be limited to the Twenty20 and one-day cricket.
The 28-year-old had earlier last year announced his retirement from the longer version of the game, blaming the SLC for failing to renew his contract.
Malinga, who is said to be on a $1.1 million contract with Mumbai Indians in the IPL, had last month hinted that he may not sign up with the SLC, though, he would continue to make himself available for national selections.
The category-2 of central contracts figures Nuwan Kulasekara, Angelo Mathews, Rangana Herath and Upul Tharanga, while category-3 is limited to wicketkeeper Prasanna Jayawardene.
Tharanga Paranavitana, Suraj Randiv, Ajantha Mendis and Dinesh Chandimal are in category-4 followed by Dilhara Fernando, Chanaka Welegedara and Thisara Perera in category-5.
Chamara Kapugedera, Suranga Lakmal and Lahiru Thirimanne have been placed at the bottom of the pedestal.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka aims to streamline tax structure, boost collections October 4, 2023
- Tharushi Karunarathna wins Gold at Asian Games in China October 4, 2023
- Litro gas prices increased from tonight (October 04) October 4, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Health Minister says people seeking treatment at government hospitals have increased by 40% October 4, 2023
- Court dismisses misappropriation case against Ajith Nivard Cabraal and Lalith Weeratunga October 4, 2023