Mathews ton helps set 350-run lead in 2nd Test
Sri Lanka captain Angelo Mathews scored his highest test innings of 160 before the visitors were dismissed for 457 after tea on the fourth day, setting England a victory target of 350 in the second test at Headingley on Monday.
That left England needing to set a new national record if they were to emerge victorious, with their highest fourth-innings total to win a test the 332 they managed against Australia in 1928/29.
Liam Plunkett finished with 4-112, and James Anderson bagged 3-91.
Mathews scored his second hundred in as many tests as the tourists got on top of England.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka Navy seizes Kerala cannabis worth over Rs. 33 million in Karainagar September 29, 2023
- Some Sri Lanka creditors seeking debt restructuring deal without China September 29, 2023
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023