Police won’t prevent BBS event in Kandy – SSP
Police would not prevent a Bodu Bala Sena event scheduled to be held today at 3.00 p.m. opposite the Sri Dalada Maligawa as it was a religious event, police spokesman SSP Ajith Rohana said yesterday.
However, the SSP warned that action would be taken if the event was used to incite racism and create religious disharmony.
SSP said that it was unlikely that the BBS would be able to hold its ‘Adhistana Pooja’ as permission for the event had not been granted by the authorities concerned.
When contacted, Chief Executive Officer of the BBS operating from Colombo, Dilanthe Vithanage said last night that they were planning to hold the religious event with the participation of 300 to 400 Buddhist monks from Mahiyanganaya, Colombo and Kandy.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka aims to streamline tax structure, boost collections October 4, 2023
- Tharushi Karunarathna wins Gold at Asian Games in China October 4, 2023
- Litro gas prices increased from tonight (October 04) October 4, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Health Minister says people seeking treatment at government hospitals have increased by 40% October 4, 2023
- Court dismisses misappropriation case against Ajith Nivard Cabraal and Lalith Weeratunga October 4, 2023