Media barred from covering event held in support of GR
Joint Opposition lawmaker MP Shehan Semasinghe, yesterday, apologised for preventing the media from covering SLPP Youth Convention held at the Nelum Pokuna theatre, on Saturday (24), in support of Gotabaya Rajapaksa’s presidential candidature.
Addressing the media at the Opposition Leader’s Office, Sir Marcus Fernando Mawatha, Anuradhapura District MP Semasinghe admitted that those responsible for organising the event should have been mindful of the support extended by the media to the JO during its difficult times.
The MP assured the media that the circumstances leading to the unprecedented ban on media would be certainly inquired into soon and remedial action taken. “We’ll not allow a similar situation to occur in the future,” MP Semasinghe said.
Top JO economic affairs spokesman Dr. Bandula Gunawardena, too, expressed concern over the incident.
Print and electronic media representatives, yesterday, asked lawmakers Gunawardena and Semasinghe whether they endorsed the view expressed by former President Mahinda Rajapaksa’s son, Namal Rajapaksa, MP, at the venue, there was no issue as the event was being live telecast on the social media.
Journalists walked out of the event after failing to convince organizers.
MP Semasinghe said that he wouldn’t try to justify their lapse under any circumstances as the fault was theirs.
(Source: The Island – By Shamindra Ferdinando)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Permission not given to Chinese ship to dock, India’s concerns important: Sabry September 26, 2023
- Sri Lanka squad named for ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 September 26, 2023
- S&P raises Sri Lanka local currency ratings to ‘CCC+/C’, says outlook stable September 26, 2023
- Sri Lanka President expresses dissatisfaction with country’s current education system September 26, 2023
- Chinese model breaks U.S. hegemony: former Sri Lankan diplomat September 26, 2023