MENLP urges ‘beware of crocodiles’ message in Tamil, English
The move to display ‘beware of crocodiles’ message at the walking path near the Parliament in Sinhala is a violation of language policy rights, the Movement for Enforcement of National Language Policy (MENLP) points out.
In a letter to Speaker Karu Jayasuriya, the MENLP has said the warning massage should be displayed in Tamil and English languages as well.
“We kindly request you to issue a directive to display a warning message in Tamil language to ensure the safety of people,” the statement added.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023
- Sri Lanka receives USD 890,000 interim compensation for damages by X-Press Pearl September 24, 2023
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023