Minimum employable age brought down to 16
Posted in Local News
Now persons above 16 years of age can go to work legally, the government announced today.
Earlier the minimum age for starting on a career was 18.
“The Government had increased the minimum age of engagement in service up to 16 years in terms of the legal provisions applicable to workers to suit the legal provisions describing the compulsory age of schooling as 16 years,” Co-Cabinet spokesman Ramesh Pathirana said.
The Cabinet approval was granted on June 10, 2020, for amendment. Accordingly, the Legal Draftsman formulated the drafted laws for the amendment of the following acts and regulations.
(Source: Daily Mirror)
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka unexpectedly cuts rates by 250 bps as inflation eases June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s key inflation rate eases to 25.2% in May June 1, 2023
- Fuel prices revised in Sri Lanka May 31, 2023