Nethmi Ahinsa returns to Sri Lanka with the bronze medal
Nethmi Ahinsa Fernando Poruthotage who won a bronze medal at the Commonwealth Games 2022 in Birmingham has arrived in Sri Lanka.
She defeated Australia’s Irene Symeonidis to win the bronze medal in the Women’s Freestyle 57kg wrestling event.
After the win, 18-year-old Nethmi Ahinsa Fernando Poruthotage became the youngest Sri Lankan medalist at the Commonwealth Games.
She arrived at the Bandaranaike International Airport (BIA) at around 3:50 AM in a flight from Abu Dhabi.
She was received by officials of the Ministry of Sports, Wrestling Federation members and her family.
Meanwhile, curtains will come down on the Commonwealth Games 2022 in Birmingham, England today (August 08).
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023