No decision on seeking IMF assistance yet – Dullas
Cabinet Spokesman Minister Dullas Alahapperuma says the government has not taken a final decision on whether to seek the assistance of the International Monetary Fund or not, thus far.
Speaking during the weekly Cabinet media briefing, Minister Alahapperuma said the government is in discussion pertaining to seeking IMF assistance.
When inquired by media, the Minister said several Ministers expressed their opinions pertaining to IMF funding during the past few Cabinet meetings.
He said they cannot take a final decision pertaining to the matter when the Minister of Finance is not in the country.
Minister Dullas Alahapperuma said there are three stages to the process and they have not even arrived at a decision pertaining holding discussions with the IMF.
The Minister said if a decision was taken to obtain IMF funding then they have to hold discussions with relevant officials.
He said they will also need to consider the conditions of the IMF before granting the final approval.
(Source: News Radio)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023