Oakland shooting victim identified as Sri Lankan-born American
A man fatally shot Tuesday night in the Uptown area, possibly during a robbery, was identified by police Thursday as Janath Liyanage, 32, of Garden Grove.
He was shot about 11:13 p.m. Tuesday in the 600 block of 20th Street between Rashida Muhammad Street and San Pablo Avenue. He died at a hospital at 1:01 a.m. Wednesday, police said.
Liyanage was standing outside his vehicle when he was confronted by someone who shot him and took off before the police arrived, authorities said.
Investigators are trying to determine why he was in Oakland and specifically why he was in the Uptown area.
Investigators said robbery has not been ruled out as the motive for the shooting but did not provide additional details.
(Source: East Bay Times)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023