Posted in Local News
The Omanthai checkpoint which was open for several years after the end of the war has been officially closed today, according to our sources.
This checkpoint would continue to check heavy vehicles but there would not be civilian checks or checks on light vehicles in the future these sources said.
The checkpoint has existed for well over a decade and came to symbolize the war, and the yawning divide between two parts of the country.
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank warns general public over 8 pyramid-type schemes May 31, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar May 31, 2023
- Chinese reaffirms support for Sri Lanka’s economic recovery May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Central Bank to hold rates as inflation stays high May 31, 2023
- Sri Lanka to initiate new online passport application system May 30, 2023
- India extends USD 1 Billion Credit Line for Sri Lanka until March 2024 May 30, 2023
- Cabinet approves resume of the Colombo Light Rail Transit project May 30, 2023