The Omanthai checkpoint which was open for several years after the end of the war has been officially closed today, according to our sources.
This checkpoint would continue to check heavy vehicles but there would not be civilian checks or checks on light vehicles in the future these sources said.
The checkpoint has existed for well over a decade and came to symbolize the war, and the yawning divide between two parts of the country.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023