Only one law should prevail – Namal
UPFA MP Namal Rajapaksa told Parliament Wednesday that only one law should prevail in the country.
“There should not be any permission to practise the law of the jungle in this country. The one and only law that should prevail in all corners of this nation, must be the laws passed by this August assembly,” Rajapaksa said.
He said People have strong faith in the law and order of the country after the conclusion of war. Due to the continuous postponing in Court hearings, people today are dissatisfied. To make Court hearings efficient other institutions connected to it must be made efficient.
I believe that, the number of Judges in the Supreme Court must be increased.
I also think that ordinary people must be made more aware of the law and justice.
We must not betray or demean the judiciary system by using Parliament privileges.
In some other countries, the Judges are elected by the public. Even though we do not see that system in our country, we hear about incidents favourable or partial decisions given in order to be popular.
There should not be any permission to practise the law of the jungle in this country. The one and only law that should prevail in all corners of this nation, must be the laws passed by this August assembly.
Time has come to include law as a subject in the school curriculum and the people of this country must be armed with awareness of their rights and the laws of the nation.”
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023
- Sri Lankan President leaves for Germany September 27, 2023