Our aim – a just and prosperous society – Ranil Wickremasinghe, PM
Today we are celebrating the 67th anniversary of Independence while a civilised political culture is being created in our beloved motherland, Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe said in a message to mark Independence Day.
When the Father of the Nation, Rt. Hon. D.S. Senanayake, the first Prime Minister of Sri Lanka launched the independence struggle, the main weapon he used was unity and brotherhood among the communities that lived in harmony in our country.
Once we gained independence, the challenge that we had to face was to safeguard that unity and march towards the development of the country.
However, it was unfortunate that we could not achieve that goal successfully.
We have now, once again arrived at a period, during which we could realize that objective. Groups that represent diverse communities, following different religions, political parties, civil organizations and various groups came together onto one platform, shedding their differences to achieve a common objective for the benefit of the nation.
Our aim is to emulate the dignified royal tradition of the Lichchavi, Kings , whereby people would meet peacefully, discuss issues peacefully and disperse peacefully, in order to ensure good governance and build a united and prosperous nation.
Let us resolve today to achieve that noble objective, to give real meaning to our independence.
(Government News Portal)
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023