Over 290 kg of heroin valued at Rs. 2.3 Billion seized from trawler, five arrested
Sri Lanka Navy has seized a multi-day fishing trawler carrying 290 kilograms and 200 grams of heroin and 05 suspects were apprehended during a special search operation conducted in the deep sea yesterday (30).
The multi-day fishing trawler and the suspects carrying the heroin were brought ashore on today (31) morning.
It is believed that the street value of the stock of heroin seized by the Navy is over Rs. 2,321 million.
The operation was carried out by the Police Narcotics Bureau (PNB) with the assistance of the Sri Lanka Navy, based on a tip-off received by the State Intelligence Service, police said.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka pays off $200 million loan from Bangladesh with $4.5 million interest September 24, 2023
- Bar Association of Sri Lanka demands withdrawal of Anti-Terrorism and Online Safety Bills September 24, 2023
- Malaysian Police tracking down two Sri Lankan triple murder suspects September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023