Parliament suspended after Govt. MPs attempt to assault
Parliament has been suspended for 10 minutes after a tense situation erupted when several Government MPs attempted to assault UNP MP Jayalath Jayawardena accusing him of instigating the protest against President Mahinda Rajapaksa at the Heathrow airport.
According to our parliament correspondent several government MPs led by Dinesh Gunawardena, Anura Priyadarshana Yapa and Jagath Pushpakumara had crossed the well of the parliament and attempted to assault Jayawardena claiming that he was behind the protest that took place against President Mahinda Rajapaksa at the Heathrow airport on November 29.
However other MPs had intervened and had prevented a clash. At that point Jayawardena had shown his passport and claimed that he was in UK on November 25,26 and that on the day of President’s visit he was in Italy.
Courtesy: Ada Derana
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Dr. Saman Ratnayake remanded until March 14, 2024 March 2, 2024
- Sri Lanka Air Force celebrates 73rd anniversary March 2, 2024
- Department of Examinations announced dates of Scholarship Exam, O/L, A/L March 1, 2024
- Central Bank officials summoned to party leaders’ meeting over salary hike March 1, 2024
- Sri Lanka halts free visas for long-staying Russian, Ukrainian nationals March 1, 2024