Police probe on exchange control offences
The CID said it was currently investigating the detection of some Swiss Francs one million and US$ 200,000 in a house in Mount Lavinia to ascertain whether it involved a breach of Exchange Control laws.
“The CID found a brief case containing foreign currency after a complaint was made by Tharindu Lakshitha that money given by his uncle was in his house. The brief case was opened in the presence of the Mount Lavinia Magistrate,” Police spokesman Ajith Rohana said.
“We investigating whether these funds had any connection to common opposition candidate Maithripala Sirisena” he said.
SSP Rohana said 32 bank accounts belonging to three suspects including a person named Athula Weeraratne and his wife had been frozen.
Media reports had earlier alleged that Mr. Weeraratne was closely associated with Mr. Sirisena.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka reports 80,222 dengue cases with 47 deaths December 11, 2023
- Sri Lanka Parliament decides to debate VAT (amendment) Bill today December 11, 2023
- ‘Unfair, Really Surprised’: Anjum Chopra on Chamari Athapaththu going unsold at WPL Auction December 11, 2023
- Sri Lankan migrant workers remit 5.4 Billion USD in first 11 months December 10, 2023
- Countrywide power outage in Sri Lanka due to a system failure December 9, 2023