Police will initiate legal action against social media rumour mongers
The Police Media Unit issuing a statement noted that false reports claiming that several Coronavirus infected persons had been reported from various parts of the country.
The statement stated that only one patient has tested positive for the Coronavirus in Sri Lanka and he is currently being treated at the Infectious Disease Hospital (IDH) in Angoda.
However, despite rumours being spread that the family members of this patient had contracted the virus, the Police said that they have not tested positive for Coronavirus and they are currently being quarantined at their home under the supervision of the Health Ministry.
While the police urged the public not to be misled by these rumours circulating over social media and said that legal action would be taken against anyone found to be spreading false rumours through social media.
(Government News Portal)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka President expresses dissatisfaction with country’s current education system September 26, 2023
- Chinese model breaks U.S. hegemony: former Sri Lankan diplomat September 26, 2023
- Asian Games 2023: India women bag Gold medal in cricket September 25, 2023
- Sachithra Senanayake granted bail September 25, 2023
- Wanindu Hasaranga likely to miss ICC World Cup due to hamstring injury – report September 25, 2023