President as Confirming Authority confirms sentence on General Sarath Fonseka
Pix by Getty Images
General Sarath Fonseka to be cashiered from SL Army
The convening officer of the Court Martial – 1, HE the President Mahinda Rajapaksa as the Confirming Authority on Saturday (14) confirmed the accused, General G.S.C. Fonseka be cashiered from the Sri Lanka Army as recommended by the tribunal that probed the accused’s involvement in politics on three separate charges.
In accordance with provisions in the Army Act under Section (124), the accused was charged on one count and under Section (102) on two counts;
1. Traitorous / Disloyal Word
2. Neglect to obey garrison or other orders (two counts)
The tribunal comprises Major General H.L Weerathunga, (President), Major General A.L.R Wijethunga and Major General D.R.A.B Jayathilaka. Rear Admiral W.W.J.S Fernando serves as Judge Advocate for both Court Martial – 1 and Court Martial – 2. Prosecution led evidence of four witnesses including Minister Jonston Fernando, Mr Gamini Abeyrathna, Parliamentarian Luxman Seneviratne and Major General A.W.J.C De Silva. Mr Rienzie Arsacularatne was the Defence Counsel for General Sarath
The Court Martial – 1 probing charges against General Sarath Fonseka under three separate charges commenced its sittings for the first time on 16th March 2010, in accordance with provisions in the Army Act after it was appointed by HE the President Mahinda Rajapaksa on 11th March 2010 as Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces on recommendations of the Commander of the Army Lieutenant General Jagath Jayasuriya.
General G.S.C Fonseka joined the Sri Lanka Army on 5th February 1970 and received commissions as a 2nd Lieutenant on 1st June 1971 in the Sri Lanka Sinha Regiment. Months after HE the President was elected, he was appointed the Commander of the Army on 6th December 2005. He was promoted to the Rank of a General on 18th May 2009 immediately after the conclusion of the war for peace. On 14th July 2009, he was appointed to the post of Chief of Defence Staff and he retired from the service on 14th November 2009.
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023