President confirms 30-month jail term for Fonseka
Sri Lanka’s president has confirmed the 30-month jail term imposed on former army chief Sarath Fonseka following his conviction by a military court, an official said Thursday.
President Mahinda Rajapakse approved the prison sentence for a period of two-and-a-half years after returning Wednesday from New York, where he addressed the U.N. general assembly, a senior government official said.
“The court martial has recommended up to three years in jail, but the president has decided he will be in prison for 30 months,” the official, who didn’t want to be named, said.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- 40 Government hospitals in Sri Lanka closed and another 100 about to close November 28, 2023
- October sees 20% decline in apparel exports from Sri Lanka November 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka approves Sinopec’s $4.5 billion refinery proposal November 28, 2023
- Tamil Nadu government failed to understand the problem in Sri Lanka: Murali November 27, 2023
- Harin appointed Sports Minister, Pavithra appointed Irrigation Minister November 27, 2023