President Gotabaya Rajapaksa handed over his resignation letter to the Speaker
Sri Lanka’s President Gotabaya Rajapaksa handed over his resignation letter to the Speaker a few moments ago, the Speaker’s Office confirmed.
However, as it was sent to the Speaker via email, the Speaker wanted to seek legal advice from the Attorney-General on whether the letter would be acceptable for public release after speaking to the President to reconfirm its veracity, a spokesperson for the Speaker said.
UPDATE – 09:00 PM: The speaker’s office said it will verify the authenticity of the letter, complete all legal processes and make an official announcement about Gotabaya Rajapaksa’s resignation on Friday (July 15).
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka to launch new vehicle revenue license system (eRL 2.0) on October 7 October 3, 2023
- World’s leading tech companies deeply criticize Sri Lanka’s Online Safety Bill October 2, 2023
- Sri Lanka Government says No more emergency purchases of medicines October 2, 2023
- IMF unveils 16-point plan to address governance challenges in Sri Lanka October 2, 2023
- Corrupt elements use Parliament, Finance Ministry to evade taxes October 2, 2023