President tells Nimal Siripala to temporarily step down from minister post
Minister Nimal Siripala de Silva has temporarily resigned from the position of Minister of Ports, Shipping and Aviation Services, until the investigations over an alleged transaction with a private company are concluded.
The President ordered an immediate formal investigation into the allegations levelled by the opposition leader in Parliament yesterday (July 05) regarding a transaction made by the Ministry of Aviation with a private company.
On the instructions of the President, Nimal Siripala de Silva will temporarily step down from the position of Minister of Ports, Shipping and Aviation Services until the investigations are completed, the statement said.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Permission not given to Chinese ship to dock, India’s concerns important: Sabry September 26, 2023
- Sri Lanka squad named for ICC Cricket World Cup 2023 September 26, 2023
- S&P raises Sri Lanka local currency ratings to ‘CCC+/C’, says outlook stable September 26, 2023
- Sri Lanka President expresses dissatisfaction with country’s current education system September 26, 2023
- Chinese model breaks U.S. hegemony: former Sri Lankan diplomat September 26, 2023