Presidential Pardon for Uvathenne Sumana Thera
Posted in Local News
Ven Uwathenne Sumana thera of Sri Bodhirajarama Temple, Maligawatte, who was sentenced to life imprisonment, has been granted Presidential Pardon today.
The pardon is subject to the condition that he withdraws an appeal filed against the sentence.
The Ven. Sumana Thera who was a supporter of the then Presidential candidate former Army commander Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka was sentenced for the possession of a T56 firearm.
He was also accused of possessing 50 hand grenades and 210 rounds of live ammunition, but the charges were dropped later.
- Sri Lanka appointed Special parliamentary committee to probe New Diamond, X-Press Pearl disasters June 6, 2023
- Cabinet approves proposal to reduce Maximum Retail Prices of 60 types of medicine June 6, 2023
- Two officers of Agrarian Service Centre arrested for soliciting a bribe June 6, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s LGBTQ+ community holds Pride march, demands end to discrimination June 5, 2023
- India’s first international cruise from Chennai to Sri Lanka to be flagged off today June 5, 2023
- ‘Sandahiru Seya Charity Trust’ donates Dialysis Machine to Anuradhapura Hospital June 5, 2023
- Sri Lanka records lowest tourism monthly income of US$ 132 Million in May June 5, 2023
From the glance of the news item, it gives an impression that the presidential system of pardoning is bad. When looking at the charges, the ‘life sentence’ for possessing the firearm also appears too much. So, where is the problem ? When this happens to an ord person, what will be his fate ! ‘Constitutional amendments’ or the ‘Judicial Audits’ – which is the answer, What will be the much talked independent commission’s position & much powerful & more privileged law maker’s stand in parliament?
All systems have internal & external auditing in their departments to have some sort of checks and balances !