Protestor sentenced to 3 & 1/2 years for causing property damage
A Sri Lankan Court (Matara Magistrate’s Court) sentences a 30-year-old man to 3 & 1/2 years rigorous imprisonment, imposes a fine of Rs. 6,000/- and orders to pay Rs. 50,000/- for protesting by obstructing the street and damaging a police three-wheeler during a protest in Matara, Sri Lanka.
Sri Lanka Police said that a group had protested demanding fuel by obstructing the Colombo – Matara Main Road from the Mahanama Bridge over the Nilwala River on the 19th of April 2022.
During the protest, a police three-wheeler bearing number WP ABY 1706 was attacked and damaged, said Police.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023