Pursuing peace gently in Sri Lanka – International New York Times
The International New York Times in an article titled “Pursuing peace gently in Sri Lanka” published on 12 May 2016 discussed President Maithripala Sirisena’s commitment to promote reconciliation, accountability and human rights in the country.
“President tries to forge a political solution to decades of ethnic strife”, states the New York Times in its article.
New York Times quotes President Sirisena’s comments “I know it is a difficult task, and I decided to accept the challenge anyway” and “Nobody is trying to take something away from the Sinhalese to give it to the Tamils. What we are trying to do is to give something more to everyone.”
Nobody doubts Mr. Sirisena’s sincerity, it added.
For the full article please visit: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/13/world/asia/sri-lanka-maithripala-sirisena.html
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Nadeesha Dilhani Lekamge wins Asian Games athletics medal after 17 years October 3, 2023
- World Bank boosts Sri Lanka economic forecasts after inflation progress October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka President slams western media, says no to international probe October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka Bondholder Lawsuit Should Be Put on Hold, U.S. Says October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch new vehicle revenue license system (eRL 2.0) on October 7 October 3, 2023