Ranil Wickremesinghe appointed to UNP National List MP seat
The Working Committee of the United National Party (UNP) has decided to appoint party leader Ranil Wickremesinghe to the UNP’s National List seat in parliament.
Chairman of the UNP Wajira Abeywardena stated that the Working Committee unanimously decided to appoint the former Prime Minister to the party’s sole National List MP seat.
Meanwhile five new members were appointed to the UNP Working Committee today. They are Dinouk Colombage, Kithsiri Manchanayake, Saman Ratnapriya, Shafeek Rajabdeen and Ramaiah Yogarajan.
The UNP suffered a humiliating loss at the last General Election and failed to secure a single seat in Parliament.
However, due to various views within the party, no member was sworn in as a National List MP.
During the past few months, party stalwarts and supporters have requested the former Prime Minister, considering his experience, to enter Parliament and contribute to the legislative process.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Dengue cases increased to 78,322 December 7, 2023
- DIG Nalaka de Silva released from case over alleged VIP assassination plot December 6, 2023
- Pressure grows on UK over British Museum treasures as Netherlands returns major colonial artefacts December 6, 2023
- Police officer takes his own life at Peliyagoda Interchange of Katunayake Expressway December 6, 2023
- Sagala asks officials about progress of Beira Lake Development Project December 6, 2023