Ranil Wickremesinghe appointed to UNP National List MP seat
The Working Committee of the United National Party (UNP) has decided to appoint party leader Ranil Wickremesinghe to the UNP’s National List seat in parliament.
Chairman of the UNP Wajira Abeywardena stated that the Working Committee unanimously decided to appoint the former Prime Minister to the party’s sole National List MP seat.
Meanwhile five new members were appointed to the UNP Working Committee today. They are Dinouk Colombage, Kithsiri Manchanayake, Saman Ratnapriya, Shafeek Rajabdeen and Ramaiah Yogarajan.
The UNP suffered a humiliating loss at the last General Election and failed to secure a single seat in Parliament.
However, due to various views within the party, no member was sworn in as a National List MP.
During the past few months, party stalwarts and supporters have requested the former Prime Minister, considering his experience, to enter Parliament and contribute to the legislative process.
- Ven. Rajangane Saddharathana Thera arrested May 29, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya remanded till June 7 May 28, 2023
- Fuel quota to be increased from Tuesday May 28, 2023
- India did more for Sri Lanka than IMF – Jaishankar May 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to Issue digital birth certificates May 28, 2023
- Nathasha Edirisooriya arrested over remarks on Buddhism May 28, 2023
- Veteran Diplomat Jayantha Dhanapala passes away May 27, 2023