Ranil Wickremesinghe steps down as UNP leader
Former Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe has decided to step down as the Leader of the United National Party (UNP), UNP National Organizer Navin Dissanayake said today.
Mr. Dissanayake told journalists that the party leader said this when he met UNP Seniors at party headquarters Sirikotha. “Several names have been suggested as the new leader,” he said.
Accordingly, UNP General Secretary Akila Viraj Kariyawasam, Assistant Leader Ravi Karunanayake, National Organiser Daya Gamage and Vajira Abeywardena have been nominated to the position.
The Working Committee of the party is expected to decide on the next leader of the UNP, one of the oldest political parties in Sri Lanka established in 1946 by the Late D.S. Senananayke.
Wickremesinghe has served as Leader of the United National Party since 1994, a 26-year uninterrupted reign as party leader.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- SriLankan Airlines partners with Virgin Australia September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka to launch campaigns to attract 1.5 million tourists – proposal to create non-sleeping cities September 28, 2023
- Danushka Gunathilaka found not guilty of sexual intercourse without consent September 28, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Ministry of Defence announces updates to licensing conditions for private security agencies September 27, 2023
- Despite signs of stabilization, full economic recovery not yet assured – IMF Mission September 27, 2023