Ranjan barred from Parliament – Speaker
SJB MP Ranjan Ramanayake will not be allowed to attend Parliament until Court delivers a verdict, Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena informed Parliament yesterday (10).
Responding to a question of Opposition Leader Sajith Premadasa, the Speaker said Parliament has been informed to maintain the status quo.
Premadasa: “That is not the status quo. Maintaining the status quo means the seat of Ranjan Ramanayake will remain unchanged. Sri Lanka is party to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights where it is stated that an appeal can be filed with respect to any punishment. Now, I’m asking the Speaker again, can Ramanayake attend Sittings on Thursday (11)?”
Speaker: “No. He can’t. We can’t summon him until the Court gives a verdict on the matter.”
Premadasa: “The Speaker is not bound by Court verdicts. You can take an independent decision. Former Speaker Anura Bandaranaike set a precedent. Why is SLPP MP Premalal Jayasekara treated differently?”
Speaker: “I have never done that. I decided to summon Jayasekara after the Court verdict. I am not treating MPs differently. You know that I haven’t done that.”
(Source: Ceylon Today – By Gagani Weerakoon and Methmalie Dissanayake)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President address at the UNGA highlighting Sri Lanka’s journey to rebuild trust and global solidarity September 22, 2023
- Hearing of Danushka Gunathilaka’s case concludes, verdict to be delivered next week September 21, 2023