Ranjan barred from Parliament – Speaker
SJB MP Ranjan Ramanayake will not be allowed to attend Parliament until Court delivers a verdict, Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena informed Parliament yesterday (10).
Responding to a question of Opposition Leader Sajith Premadasa, the Speaker said Parliament has been informed to maintain the status quo.
Premadasa: “That is not the status quo. Maintaining the status quo means the seat of Ranjan Ramanayake will remain unchanged. Sri Lanka is party to the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights where it is stated that an appeal can be filed with respect to any punishment. Now, I’m asking the Speaker again, can Ramanayake attend Sittings on Thursday (11)?”
Speaker: “No. He can’t. We can’t summon him until the Court gives a verdict on the matter.”
Premadasa: “The Speaker is not bound by Court verdicts. You can take an independent decision. Former Speaker Anura Bandaranaike set a precedent. Why is SLPP MP Premalal Jayasekara treated differently?”
Speaker: “I have never done that. I decided to summon Jayasekara after the Court verdict. I am not treating MPs differently. You know that I haven’t done that.”
(Source: Ceylon Today – By Gagani Weerakoon and Methmalie Dissanayake)
- Sri Lanka Government to relax import restrictions on nearly 400 items June 2, 2023
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023