Ranjan Ramanayake to decide whether to apologize for contempt of court
Former Member of Parliament Ranjan Ramanayake is currently in discussions with his lawyers to decide whether to submit an apology for contempt of court, his legal consultants said today (August 11).
One of the consultants said Mr. Ramanayake will make the final decision in two days.
Minister Wijeyadasa Rajapakshe said today if Ranjan Ramanayake submits a written apology to the judiciary for contempt of court, President Ranil Wickremesinghe should release him on Presidential Pardon.
Reports said Mr. Ramanayake would be pardoned and released next week if he submits an apology during the weekend.
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Official Creditor Committee confirms debt treatment deal with Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka President appoints Deshabandu Tennakoon as acting IGP November 29, 2023
- Creditor nations likely to agree on Sri Lanka debt restructuring – report November 29, 2023
- Netherlands returns six looted colonial-era artefacts to Sri Lanka November 29, 2023
- Sri Lanka needs $100 billion to become net zero emitter by 2040, president says November 29, 2023