Ravi Kumudesh: Indian-made vaccine should not be forced on Sri Lankans
The general public should be given access to the most suitable COVID-19 vaccine instead of being made to take the Indian vaccine, President of the College of Medical Laboratory Science, Ravi Kumudesh told The Island yesterday.
Kumudesh said that the National Medicines Regulatory Authority (NMRA) had so far only registered Covidshield vaccine (Indian name for Oxford–AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine.)
“Given that the Medical Research Institute (MRI) only checks documents, there can’t be a reason for the delay in registering other vaccines. We are glad that India gave us some vaccine doses for free, but we can’t just import more of the same without a proper study.”
A number of frontline workers who received the Indian COVID-19 vaccine had developed mild reactions, but Health Ministry has shown no interest in collecting and analyzing that data, Kumudesh said.
“We are not collecting data or analysing them. No one can explain why we are using only Covidshield. No one can say what the best vaccine for us is. We can’t independently verify anything although we have a 200-year-old MRI. At least now the government must invest in the MRI and restore it to its pristine position.”
(Source: The Island – By Rathindra Kuruwita)
- Reform momentum must continue despite tentative signs of improvement in Sri Lanka Economy – IMF June 2, 2023
- Government’s objective is to develop Sri Lanka as a thriving nation by 2048 June 2, 2023
- Sri Lankan Rupee appreciates against U.S. Dollar June 1, 2023
- Professionals belonging to 14 categories required to register with Inland Revenue Department from June 01 June 1, 2023
- Bruno Divakara remanded until June 07 June 1, 2023
- Over 9,000 dengue cases reported in Sri Lanka in May, 2023 June 1, 2023
- Sri Lanka unexpectedly cuts rates by 250 bps as inflation eases June 1, 2023
Your statement is admirable, Dr Ravi Kumudesh.
The contents and efficacy of the Indian Vaccine are unknown; no research; no test results.
We should go for Dhammikage Peniya (the God given Vaccine) and the Astra-Zeneca Vaccine, (tested and approved by WHO).
The Indian Vaccine will make an Indian Colony ruled by Narendira Moodhi.
No to Indian Vaccine, 100%.