Ravi tells Chandrika to mind her business
Former President Chandrika Bandaranaike Kumaratunga’s attempt to form a clique within the UNP would be thwarted, Minister of Power Ravi Karunanayake said, on Saturday, at Kataragama.
Karunanayake said that Kumaratunga was under the impression that she could dictate terms to the UNP.
“Attempts are being made by some external forces to disrupt the UNP. Kumaratunga thinks that she can influence political parties. She thinks that the SLFP should do as she says. She also thinks that she can influence the UNP by forming a small clique within it.”
The former President was the SLFP electoral organiser of Attanagalle seat but she had failed to secure even her seat, Karunanayake said. Thus, the UNP gained nothing from an alliance with such a person, he said.
Karunanayake added that the UNP would decide on their presidential candidate at the opportune moment. “We have not decided on someone yet. There are powerful persons like Ranil Wickremesinghe, Karu Jayasuriya and Sarath Fonseka in the UNP. Some other names might come up, but it’s not the decision of the party.”
Last week, Finance Minister, Mangala Samaraweera, a close ally of Kumaratunga, invited Party Deputy Leader and Minister Sajith Premadasa to his book launch in Matara, and it is widely thought that the event was aimed at promoting Premadasa as UNP’s Presidential candidate. Samaraweera had earlier suggested that Premadasa, who enjoyed significant grassroots support, should be the party’s Presidential candidate. Karunanayake has also had a number of run-ins with Samaraweera during cabinet meetings as well.
Karunanayake has been a strong critic of Premadasa and downplaying the latter’s chances of being the UNP’s Presidential candidate.
(Source: The Island)
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sri Lanka’s Agriculture Minister explores opportunities to export eggs and chicken September 23, 2023
- Stability should not come at the sacrifice of values of freedom of expression: U.S. Ambassador September 23, 2023
- Sri Lanka imports test kits to detect Nipah virus September 22, 2023
- Import tax on powdered milk increased September 22, 2023
- Sri Lanka President’s robust economic development program leads to 62.1% drop in inflation – Minister September 22, 2023