Remanded for misappropriating property of Hollywood actress
A Sri Lankan who had allegedly misappropriated Rs.17.8 million from Sri Lankan properties belonging to popular Hollywood actress of X-Files fame Gillian Anderson, was remanded till January 4 by a Colombo Court.
Making a complaint with CID, a British national complained that the suspect Anura Rathne Herath had been entrusted to administrate the American actress’ properties located in the Pasyala area and thereby committed this offence.
The complainant further alleged that the suspect had obtained Rs.17.8 million from another company affiliated to the concerned properties on service requirements.
Producing the suspect in court, the CID informed court that the investigations were conducted into an incident where the suspect had obtained Rs.6.8 million for the purpose of supplying electricity to the property. The CID further told court that investigations conducted so far had revealed that the suspect had also taken away a television valued at Rs.275,000 without the consent of the company.
Defence counsel Sudarshani Gunaratne appearing on behalf of the suspect denied the allegation levelled against her client and moved Court that the suspect be released on bail. Taking into consideration the fact that investigations were still proceeding, the magistrate Lanka Jayaratne ordered that the suspect be remanded till January 4.
Courtesy: DM Online
Latest Headlines in Sri Lanka
- Sanath Nishantha to pay electric bills of SLPP low-income families October 4, 2023
- Chairman of CEYPETCO and CPSTL Uvais Mohamed resigns October 4, 2023
- Sri Lanka’s Nadeesha Dilhani Lekamge wins Asian Games athletics medal after 17 years October 3, 2023
- World Bank boosts Sri Lanka economic forecasts after inflation progress October 3, 2023
- Sri Lanka President slams western media, says no to international probe October 3, 2023